Upper Egypt Local Development Program (UELDP)
The UELDP is funded by the World Bank Loan for Qena and Sohag Governorates development program at $500 million, with the participation of a number of competent ministries. The Program aims to improving business environment for the development of the private sector as well as supporting local government capacity in terms of securing good quality infrastructure, and improving service level at both Governorates. This would lead to a boom in investment in both Governorates through a modernisation plan for enhancing industrial zones’ infrastructure and maintenance. This is in addition to the development of 12 economic blocs in both Governorates through preparing separate development strategies for each bloc and following up with its implementation
IMC role in relation to other partners
- Contribute to the establishment of GoE program for Upper Egypt development
- The UELDP has been developed in cooperation with the ministries of local administration and international cooperation.
- Program operation manual preparation in cooperation with the World Bank consultant
- Preparation of economic development plans for Qena and Sohag, as well as loan disbursement items towards the best economic impacts
- Preparation of industrial zones development plans, in addition to a proposal for industrial zones management in Qena and Sohag (6 zones)
- Studying both Governorates’ competitiveness to identify economic blocs and to set up development plans for them, accordingly.
- Monitoring development plans implementation in 2 industrial blocs, namely; molasses and furniture.